Re: documentation on writing testcases?

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:

> The general frustration is: where is dg-error documented?
> I looked in:
> - the README* files in gcc/testsuite and in gcc.dg;
> - the Test Suites chapter of the internals manual
> (which mentions "special idioms" but not the basics);
> - the "Testsuite Conventions" of codingconventions.html;
> - contribute.html;
> - install/test.html;
> - and of course Google.
>
> In *none* of these did I find documentation on how to write or
> understand a test-case, or a link to such documentation.  I'm inclined
> to think that most of these above places should have such a link.

I had provided this patch in the past, but was rejected:

I never had time to split, rewrite in tex, and update it as requested. Janis
recently incorporated some parts into the internal manuals, but I believe
that we still nedd provide a "tutorial for GCC testcase writing". Like I'm
trying to explain in another thread, I believe that we are being way too
picky on www/documentation patches than we should be.

For instance, my patch could have been committed immediatly and been refined
over time. In fact, I should find a couple of hours to add it to the Wiki.
--
Giovanni Bajo