Re: RFC: Plan for cleaning up the "Addressing Modes" macros

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> I think this change is a great idea.  I want to point out something
> you probably already noticed: some definitions of
> LEGITIMIZE_RELOAD_ADDRESS rely on the fact that they appear in
> reload.c in the only caller, find_reloads_address.  For example, the
> definition in avr.h calls make_memloc, which is a static function in
> reload.c.  I thought there was at least one other case, but maybe it
> has been fixed.

Yes, I noticed.  My planning only went so far as intending to put the
transitional default definition of the target hook into reload.c, so
nothing breaks, and then dump the hard part on the target maintainers.

If we have to export more functions from reload.c in order to make it
possible for the target maintainers to do their part, so be it.  I
don't think that makes anything worse.

> In general writing LEGITIMIZE_RELOAD_ADDRESS requires a good
> knowledge of what reload does and does not do.  It is possible to
> call push_reload on some portion of X, not change X, and still jump
> to WIN.

I thought the documentation might be saying that, but I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the clarification.

zw