Re: request for timings - makedepend

On Mar  8, 2005, Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

>> I wouldn't.  automake has a much better solution for this that doesn't
>> introduce any such delays.

> Well, yes, but tell me how to make it play nice with all our generated
> header files.

You're getting confused by mixing two different issues.

One is how to generate dependencies efficiently.

The other is how to guarantee you have the generated headers in place
so that you can generate dependencies correctly.

Automake's approach to generating dependencies addresses the first
issue in a far more efficient way than yours, and has no significant
differences regarding generated headers.

As for addressing the second issue, Tom Tromey did already:
BUILT_SOURCES is one approach; explicitly coding dependencies on such
files is another.  There really isn't a magic bullet for this problem,
since you generally have to determine what other headers a generated
header might include, and some of them might be generated as well.