Re: __builtin_cpow((0,0),(0,0))

On 2005-03-07, at 17:31, Duncan Sands wrote:

I would agree with Paolo that the most imporant point is arguably consistency, and it looks like that is pow(0.0,0.0)=1

just so long as everyone understands that they are upholding the standard, not mathematics, then that is fine by me :)

All the best,

Duncan.

PS: There is always the question of which standard is being upheld,
since presumably both the Fortran and Ada standards have something
to say about this.

The "blind appeal" to higher authority isn't a proper argument as well.
The proper argument is just that: convenience in numerical computations during
the modeling of real numbers on finite devices. And just this convenience is
represented by what the "standard" says.