Re: extending archtypes: __attribute__((format(__sqlite__, 2, 6)))

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, kevin lyda wrote:

>                            ...) __attribute__((format(
>                                   __printf_extend__("Q", char *, "q", char *),
>                                 2, 6)));
>
> is there any interest in this?  if i was to come up with a patch that
> accomplished this, would it have a chance of acceptance?  is there a
> better syntax that people might suggest?

Syntax should be able to describe all the existing formats, while not
forcing us to maintain the current internal datastructures indefinitely.
I've considered such designs on and off for years without ever producing a
plausible design.  The only thing I can see is that the next step should
move the hardwired information about the sequence of components in a
conversion specifier ('%', operand number, width, left precision,
precision, length modifier, scanf 'a' kludge, conversion type specifier)
out of the code and into the datastructures.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)