Re: Inlining and estimate_num_insns

Steven Bosscher <stevenb@suse.de> writes:

[...]

| I can only wonder why we are having this discussion just after GCC 4.0
| was branched, while it was obvious already two years ago that inlining
| heuristics were going to be a difficult item with tree-ssa.

my recollection and own feeling is that, it was stated that it was new
technology and therefore needs time to mature.  In particular, the
first shot (i.e. 4.0.x) will not necessarily present all the benefits
(in particular with respect to inlining) we might wanted.

And my arguing for bumping to 4.x was partly influenced by that.

-- Gaby