Re: Extension compatibility policy

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Robert Dewar wrote:

> Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>
> > In the case mentioned of __FUNCTION__ concatenation, (a) __FUNCTION__ was
> > always documented as a variable, so concatentation of it was always
> > undocumented and so liable to removal at any time
>
> Yes, that's a legally sustainable position, just as it would be sustainable
> to make an illegal program immediately illegal in the Ada case, but as I
> said, we have to consider users as well, and telling a user that he cannot
> sue you for misprepresentation or doing something wrong is not actually
> helpful to the user trying to get a program running.

And in that case we did consider users: although the concatenation of
__FUNCTION__ wasn't documented, it emitted a deprecation warning in the
3.0, 3.1/3.2 and 3.3 release series before being removed in 3.4.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)