Re: RFC: Separate correctness and optimization tests

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> I would like a clear distinction between correctness tests and optimization
> tests.  At the moment they are being intermixed, often without comment.  :-(
> This makes the testsuite somewhat less useful than it should be.
>
> Any suggestions on a good policy for this?

Ensure tests have comments explaining their purpose.

Where tests in gcc.dg for optimization bugs don't use any options beyond
those in the standard torture set, move them to gcc.c-torture.  Where they
do use options beyond the standard torture set, move them to
gcc.dg/torture (leaving in the special options in the dg-options line but
removing the ones in the standard torture set).

If you want to distinguish tests for diagnostics / tests that a particular
optimization happens / tests that code is compiled correctly / ..., then
analyse a suitably large group of tests (e.g. those in gcc.dg) to identify
the different categories and propose a division into subdirectories that
takes account of them.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)