RE: C++ -fno-weak with template instantiations

> If you are munging the symbol table, then why on earth aren't
> you just removing STB_WEAK at the same time?  When you abuse
> ELF like this, you've got to be prepared to run into its
> stranger corners; I don't think it's GCC's job to assist with this.
>
> > Is there anything in the C++ standard or ABI that dictates that
> > template class instantiations emit weak aliases for
> methods? I would
> > seriously doubt that since weak aliases are an ELF only manifest,
> > aren't they?
>
> The C++ ABI that GCC follows actually mandates the use of
> COMDAT.  I doubt that'll make things any easier for you.

Point noted. Thanks for the suggestion to remove STB_WEAK when munging
the symbol table. That will work too.

As a side note, can you point me to the C++ ABI that you are refering
to?

Thanks

- Bhavesh

Bhavesh P. Davda | Distinguished Member of Technical Staff | Avaya |
1300 West 120th Avenue | B3-B03 | Westminster, CO 80234, U.S.A. |
Voice/Fax: (303) 538-4438 | bhavesh@avaya.com