Re: Will people install gfortran in 4.0?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Steve Kargl wrote:
> If there's a WITH_FORTRAN optin, then I'm fine with how you
> intend to maintain the gcc4.0 port.   One other item to keep
> in mind, gfortran is the *only* Fortran 95 available on
> non-i386 FreeBSD.

That (there is a WITH_FORTRAN option), and there is also a gfortran port.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Steve Kargl wrote:
> FreeBSD is fairly conservative with updating the system compiler.
> It is currently
> kargl[219] gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728
>
> I don't expect FreeBSD to move to gcc 4.x for the system
> compiler for several years.

Note that, unlike most Linux distributions, the FreeBSD ports tree uses
different versions of GCC to build different ports.  Obviously the system
compiler is the default and preferred variant, but individual ports may
opt for later versions of GCC.  And what I wrote about the gcc40 port
referred to lang/gcc40, not the system compiler.

However, I didn't really want to discuss FreeBSD-related issues here,
rather point out that the current dependency really prevents a more
wide-spread adoption of gfortran than would be the case without that;
which was Brad's point to begin with.

Gerald