Re: Will people install gfortran in 4.0?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:22:37AM +0100, Tobias Schl?ter wrote:
> Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> >>Do you have a pointer to where this decision is explained?
> >
> > That took place in private e-mail, but I happen to be that maintainer
> > of FreeBSD's lang/gcc40 port, so I should be able to recall the relevant
> > points. ;-)
>
> Out of curiosity, what are these points?  Will FreeBSD be shipping g77
> instead, or is Fortran simply not important to FreeBSD?

FreeBSD is fairly conservative with updating the system compiler.
It is currently
kargl[219] gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728

I don't expect FreeBSD to move to gcc 4.x for the system
compiler for several years.

Also, note FreeBSD is a complete, bundled operator system
(unlike Linux which is a kernel that each system vendor
bundles with its own userland).

--
Steve