Re: [RFA:] change back name of initial rtl dump suffix to ".rtl".

> Ah, that's triggered by -fdump-rtl-expand-detailed (it is revision 2.28, > for which I could not find an entry on gcc-patches).

Do you know of a reason why that isn't on by default?

Because -fdump-rtl-expand-detailed includes *two* copies of the RTL: one lacks the prologue and epilogue but is interleaved with trees, the other is the standard -fdump-rtl-expand dump.

> ISTR the name change was to avoid a switch named -fdump-rtl-rtl.

To invent an option name alias and use a minor repetition in it
as a reason for changing the old behavior is Bad.

It is not merely an option name alias. It came together with a redesign of the way RTL dumps work, to integrate their management with tree dumps and to allow (in the future) to have various levels of detail in the RTL dumps as well.

I never had a problem with the rename because I use fname*.00.* (or the analogous completion key sequence) to invoke an editor on the RTL dump (or in general any other dump).

Paolo