Re: Moving to an alternate VCS

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> 4) [svn] Get rid of the forced "ChangeLog" entry
>    - writing (it's already the changeset's commit message)
>    - formatting (can't that be done automagically?)
>    - rotating (d'oh)
>
>   I've always found the FSF's ChangeLog policy a bit weird
>   (for CVS projects - for RCS projects it's understandable).

ChangeLog files are highly useful for doing a cvs update and then looking
to see what changed recently - without noting the version number
previously had, and that now had, to do a log of just the relevant part.
Similarly they are useful in snapshots and releases.  Automatic generation
on checkout or similar doesn't suffice since svn doesn't version the log
messages themselves - although in principle in a system with log messages
being versioned you could allow all people with write access freely to fix
typos in and otherwise correct log messages and derive ChangeLogs from the
log messages at checkout/export.

In practice there is a very stylised (but not universally followed)
relation between log messages and ChangeLog entries; the header lines from
the ChangeLog entries are included in the log message iff you're
committing someone else's patch, and commits to multiple directories with
separate ChangeLogs should indicate in the log message which ChangeLogs
are involved.  But the log message does not distinguish which of someone's
multiple email addresses they are using in their ChangeLog entry.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)