Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2005-02-03)

Steven Bosscher wrote:

I respectfully disagree agree with your description of your role as
RM: "to make decisions that advance the overall state of the compiler".

Obviously, I'm not some kind of uber-despot for GCC. I don't even *want* to be that, and I'd certainly not get away with actually trying to be that. The SC has given me some authority to control certain aspects of things, and I think that clearly includes coordinating the inclusion of major features so as to avoid conflicts between patches being merged.

My authority certainly does not include deciding what algorithm is best for scheduling, or anything like that.

Of course, there is always a recourse if you don't like any particular decision: contact the SC.

As for making all proposals public, some people have asked that they be kept confidential because they didn't want to put out ideas publicly that were going to have no chance of being included. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I also think that posting them publicly might lead to a lot of back-and-forth about the merits of this vs. that, etc., that isn't particularly constructive. So, I'd prefer to leave it to the discretion of the proposer.

Unless, of course, the SC decides otherwise.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC