Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2005-02-03)

> Given the net rate of regression fixing, and the magnitude of the
> changes in 4.0, expecting a _shorter_ time between branching and
> releasing seems a bit strange to me.
>
> Perhaps branching at 100 regressions is just too early?

	Counter arguments include:

1) We have released previous versions of GCC without every regression
fixed.  Not all regressions are show-stoppers.

2) The types of regressions has changed as users are testing more code and
more corner cases.  Some of the C++ regressions were present in GCC 3.4
and the world survived through GCC 3.4.3 so far.

3) Because more optimization infrastructure is based on Tree-SSA, more of
the compiler is common code.  Instead of debugging strange
target-dependent interactions with the RTL optimizers and ambiguities in
RTL itself, many problems now are reproducible on all targets, which helps
with the bug fixing process.

David