Re: Moving to an alternate VCS

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 13:12 +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >> As for creation of experimental throw-away branches, the idea that you
> >> need a distributed vcs for that to work is just BS :).  We have had 796
> >> branches (according to the repo statistics) in the gcc cvs repository,
> >> over the course of 7 years.
> > Sorry, I typo'd the number. it's 976.
>
> How did you arrive at this number?  That sounds like an order of magnitude
> too many branches -- have you counted (snapshot) tags as well?
No, tags are a seperate number entirely (we have > 1000 tags)

This is the number of distinct branches in the rcs files (both labeled
and unlabeled).

Admittedly, looking at the results, this appears to be from a few people
playing with branch tags using rtag -F (probably trying to avoid the
speed hit from repeated merges), because most of the branches are
unlabeled.
Excluding unlabeled branches, we have about 100.