Re: Moving to an alternate VCS

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 17:07 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Mark Mitchell dixit:
>
> > Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >> While sitting here waiting 3 hours for the tagging operation to complete on
> >> the server, for probably the 20th time in 3 months, i've had a lot of time to
> >> explore our opportunities to move to a version control system that doesn't
> >> suck[1].
> >
> > I have no objection to moving Subversion.
>
> I've read about how the Mono project did the move. They have got
> about 50'000 files in version control, and there have been several
> problems with it. Later, a Subversion developer said it's simply
> not intended for a project that large.

Actually, i've followed that move, and the only real problem was that
Mono people were heavy users of cvs blame, which is somewhat slower in
svn.
Other than that, there were no real significant problems.

> I haven't counted yet, but I believe gcc has several ten thousands
> of files in CVS, too.

Yes. It also consists of ~590,000 cvs revisions.

> Also, CVS is proven, well-hung, interoperable and still a standard.

And slow, and not built or able to handle our current development model
well.