Re: GCC 4.0 Status Report (2005-02-03)

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 01:41 -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 11:49 -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> > However, before that happens, it is important that we have a coherent
> > strategy for GCC 4.1.  There are a number of major branches (and
> > perhaps done on work that is not on a branch) that people will want to
> > integrate, and we must do that in an orderly fashion.
> >
> > Therefore, we will use the same proposal-based procedure that we used
> > (late) in the GCC 4.0 timeframe.
>
> I would like to make two suggestions for additions to this procedure.
> First, I think it would be a good move to file tracker bugs in Bugzilla
> for each proposal, possibly with dependent bugs for subtasks.  A similar
> procedure seems to work very well for the Mozilla folks.

I'll also note that i think this is a very good idea.
In fact, i've already got bugs assigned to me that the struct-aliasing
branch is expected to fix.
Grouping them in some way to match the proposals would be nice (since
i'm going to submit two proposals, one for each major part of
struct-aliasing, since they have very different risks/etc)