Re: New logo gone vectorised. (SVG format)

Matt Austern <austern@apple.com> writes:
> But *if* we were designing a new logo for GCC, my inclination would be to
> go in the direction of something even more stylized and abstract,
> something withe even simpler shapes and even less directly related to
> animals or compilers, than what we've got.  I'm just looking at some of
> the memorable logos that I see in my office around me: the Addison Wesley
> logo, three triangles arranged in a pattern; MIT Press's logo, a pattern
> of seven vertical bars; the Java logo, a stylized coffee cup; EDG's logo,
> a simple stylized light bulb; Apple's logo, a simple shape with a little
> bit of 3d shading.

Yes, very well put -- many GNU logos are way too complicated, and
"finicky".  Vladius's proposed logo is wrong in exactly this way (as well,
as Ian pointed out, having little connetion with gcc).

Gcc's current logo is not great either, but it's certainly no worse than
the proposed logo, and I think it certainly shouldn't be changed unless the
replacement is appreciably better...

-Miles
--
"Nah, there's no bigger atheist than me.  Well, I take that back.
I'm a cancer screening away from going agnostic and a biopsy away