FP math builtins disabled with --fpmath=sse?

Hello,

I am currently trying to get my code working under g++ 4.0, because of the possibility for improved optimization. My code includes both:

   i) matrix multiplies / dot products
  ii) a lot of log1p / exp calls.

Currently I get quite a LARGE speedup from using -ffast-math, presumably because of FP math builtins use for (ii). However, if SSE supports works well in gcc 4.0, I could also gain a noticeable speedup for (i).

Uros Bizjak said that FP math builtins were disabled with --fpmath=sse, because they were not advantageous on x86_64.

However, if this is true, I will not be able to use SSE in my code because I use a lot of log()/exp() calls. What are the prospects that math builtins could be re-enabled for *ia32*?

thanks!
-BenRI