Re: Objective-C bugs and GCC releases

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:34:51AM -0500, Adrian Robert wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
> >It may be that the Objective-C doesn't have the resources to maintain
> >the Objective-C front end.  In that case, you are probaby out of luck;
> >it's unlikely that people outside your community will maintain the
> >Objective-C front end gratis just to make the world a better place.
> >So, if you care about GNU Objective-C, you're going to want to
> >organize a community around that language that includes some GCC
> >developers.
>
> The problem is not the nonexistence of Objective-C GCC developers, but
> their being outnumbered by the C/C++ ones (who thus determine both pace
> of development and release criteria).

You are simply wrong on this point.  If there were more Objective-C
developers, the problem would not come up.  That's how both the Ada
and Java frontends manage.

The C/C++ GCC developers do not determine the release criteria.  The
C/C++ _users_ determine the release criteria, and the Release Manager
only codifies that.

[I am removing the GNUstep lists from the CC: because they are
moderated.  Don't copy moderated lists and public ones.]

--
Daniel Jacobowitz