GCC 4.0 Status Report [2005-01-21]

I'm pleased to see that bugs are being fixed.  We are definitely
making progress.   I've made a preliminary pass over the bugs targeted
at 4.0, removing the target milestone for bugs that are clearly not
release issues.  For the time being, I've left relatively minor
bugs that do affect primary/secondary platforms -- but I'm ruthelessly
eliminating the target milestone for other platforms and for languages
other than C and C++.   In other words, paring things back to the
release criteria.  There are presently 140+ bugs targeted at 4.0, but
I've not yet removed the target milestone on all bugs where I plan to
do that.

There are 19 wrong-code regressions, 34 ice-on-valid-code, and 11
rejects-valid.  So, those 70ish bugs represent are highest-value
targets.

Bugmasters: if you have time, would you be so kind as to remove the
target milestone from all PRs which do not affect primary or secondary
platforms, or which affect only languages other than C and C++?  I
would like to get to the state where searching for "target milestone
< 4.0" and "4.0 in subject line" is the set of PRs we'd like to fix
before 4.0.  Then, I plan to use the priority field to mark the subset
of those that I think are must-fix.  If you would please also help
ensure that this remains true in the future, that would be much
appreciated.

I've look through all of the open PRs targeted at 4.0.  There are
quite a few C++ bugs, though most are minor.  More significantly,
there are a number of code-generation issues.  There are a number of
issues revolving around ivopts.  And, there seem to be a large number
of miscellaneous problems coming from all the new SSA infrastructure,
as one would expect.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC