Re: Obsolete/broken targets in 4.0.0

Eric Botcazou wrote:
Hi Mark,

What is the procedure to mark a target as obsolete or to remove a broken target for 4.0.0? Some SPARC targets (namely sparclite-elf, sparclite-coff, sparc86x-elf and sparc-openbsd) have been broken (do not build) since at least 2 releases (from 3.3 onwards). Can I remove them from mainline or should they first go through a period of obsolescence?

Good question. I believe our usual procedure is to announce them obsolete in one release, and remove them in the next. So, you should put an announcement in the 4.0 release notes (Gerald can tell you where exactly!), and then remove them after 4.0 branches.

Since those targets are not building for 3.4.x either, wouldn't it be prudent to declare them obsolete for 3.4.4 and then we could remove them on mainline.

Kelley Cook