Re: a question about Linux target dependence on GNU compiler.

Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu> writes:

> On Jan 21, 2005, at 1:06 AM, æå å wrote:
>
>> What I want to ask is not about customizing methods but
>> some functions to be implemented on GNU compiler.

Yes.  Now why are you implementing these functions?  Presumably in
order to port GCC to a new Linux variant?

>> I think that GCC has multithreading and shared library handling
>> for Linux OS target.
>>
>> I want to know if there is something necessary other than the two
>> (multithreading and shared library handling).
>
> GCC does none of the above.  Glibc provides the pthread library.
> Glibc also provides the dynamic loader for the shared libraries (ld.so).
> Binutils provides the static linker for linking shared libraries.
> GCC just produces asm code from source code (Well it does more than that
> but that is the basic idea).

This is an oversimplification.  GCC does have to do a small handful of
things relating to shared libraries, and a smaller handful of things
relating to multithreading.

And yes, there are a bunch of other things that GCC has to do in order
to generate correct code for any given target.  If you would be more
specific about what you're trying to do, we can be more specific about
what you need to implement.

zw