This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
RFC: Disallow protected data symbol with copy relocation?
- From: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- To: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, hongjiu dot lu at intel dot com
- Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:57:53 -0800
- Subject: RFC: Disallow protected data symbol with copy relocation?
Protected data symbol with copy relocation never works as intended.
The problem is with copy relocation, main and DSO see different
copies of the protected data symbol. Updating one won't change
the other. You can't compare their addresses either. There is no
easy way to get it to work unless the psABI is changed. I am proposing
to make linker to reject protected data symbol with copy relocation.