Re: a question about fix-header.c

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Kenneth Zadeck wrote:

I would like to modify fix includes so that it adds the attribute "pointer-no-escape" onto the function definition of free in stdlib.h (and possibly some other fuctions as well).

I seem to have lost the original of this message, so I'm going to throw my comment in here despite its having nothing to do with what Bruce said.

You should not be solving this problem by editing system headers.
The proper way to add attributes to standard C library functions is
with builtins.  See e.g. the handling of BUILT_IN_MALLOC.

Yes, yes, we know.
That and getting glibc/whoever to put the attributes in the headers for us, like they do with attribute malloc
This is just for purpoess of testing the attribute without having to muck up the system headers on the machines we build and test on, it's not planned on being submitted or committed

In addition I want to point out that attribute names should be single identifiers, i.e. pointer_no_escape instead of pointer-no-escape.

zw