3.4.3 unable to compile 2.95.3

hey all,

I just noticed that gcc-3.4.3 is not particularly good at compiling old versions of
gcc (I tried 2.95.3, and 3.3.5)

Is this known and accepted? I'm *ultimately* trying to compile a working version
of glibc, and have been going through dependency hell - a bug in 3.4.3 assembly
precludes me compiling glibc-2.3.2, and I can't compile the latest glibc
branch because my linux kernel is too old, etc. etc.

What I'd really like to do is have a series of parallel gcc versioned compilers
and try them in sequence to compile glibc-2.3.2, and then take what works.
(as far as I can tell this is going to be the only way that I'll get around
this versioning hell..

Anyways, why can't 3.4.3 compile old versions of gcc?

Ed