Re: dynamic library version crashes but static version works

Ted Sung wrote:
I build a dynamic library with gcc 3.2 (glibc 2.3.2-4.80.8) running Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7).
I copy this library over to another machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)
My program crashes in a very strange place in my library code.

This is almost certainly not a gcc problem. There probably isn't much we can do to help, without duplicating your situation, and it wouldn't be worthwhile for us to try.

In general, you shouldn't expect any portability of compiled libraries between two different linux systems. RHL8 and RHES3 are rather different linux systems, even though they have similar gcc/glibc versions, and you should not expect compiled libraries to be portable between them. Generally, statically linked code can be moved between similar linux systems though, as you have already found.