Re: Gcc certification

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 02:17:29PM -0700, E. Weddington wrote:
> jf wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I often use gcc at work but some times it can't be used because it
> >lacks some certification (even if it works very well).
> >Is there any plan to certify gcc ?
> >
> >I know that wind river use gcc as a basis for their developpement
> >suite for works, didn't they certified their work ? is this work
> >avaible ?
> >
> >I'm interested by any comments about this subject
> >
> - You don't specify what kind of certification you are talking about.
> - Did you search the gcc mailing list archives for previous discussions
> on the subject?

In a previous job I helped with the process of compiler validations for
my company's systems.  Things might have changed since then, but each
compiler validation was for a specific version of the compiler in a
specific environment: operating system, libraries, assembler, linker,
etc.  The process was very expensive and time-consuming.

The GCC project doesn't provide compiler binaries, let alone the
environments in which the compilers are used, so it can't do the
validations.  You might talk to the supplier of your system,
particularly if they also provide GCC binaries.

Janis