Re: SPE configuration in GCC

Aldy Hernandez wrote:
I was surprised to find that configuring for powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu got me a compiler that could not generate SPE code becausing things like TARGET_SPE are hardwired to zero. Is there a reason not to have TARGET_SPE defined to rs6000_spe in rs6000.h? My expectation would be

Yes. there is a reason.  David disliked the idea of the AIX compiler
getting bloated for SPE's sake.  I am indifferent either way; it is
his decision.

I understand that reason. I think that it would make more sense for the default to match the usual GCC convention (all variants supported) and have the AIX configuration redefine TARGET_SPE to zero (to avoid the bloat) than the current situation. David, comments?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC