are malloc/new calls annotated if they may return NULL?

Do we annotate in the IL malloc/new calls that are guaranteed to never return NULL?

I've been told that 'new' may either throw or return NULL on failure, depending on how it's configured. But malloc does return NULL on failure. Can we tell which one we're dealing with at compile time?

Thanks. Diego.