Re: typeof and bitfields

On Jan 13, 2005, at 6:56 PM, Matt Austern wrote:

This was obviously a deliberate change. However, I don't see any mention about it in the part of the manual that documents typeof. I also can't guess why this should be different in C and in C++, or what the rationale for the change might have been in the first place. Sure, applying sizeof or alignof to a bit-field makes no sense. But typeof? X::n has a perfectly good type, as the C++ compiler understands.

The type of a bit-field is no longer the under lying type. But the correct type which is required by the C standard.

-- Pinski