typeof and bitfields

Consider the following code:
struct X { int n : 1; };
void foo() { struct X x; typeof(x.n) tmp; }

With 3.3 it compiles both as C and as C++. With 4.0 it still compiles as C++, but it fails when compiled as C with the error message:
foo.c:2: error: 'typeof' applied to a bit-field

This was obviously a deliberate change. However, I don't see any mention about it in the part of the manual that documents typeof. I also can't guess why this should be different in C and in C++, or what the rationale for the change might have been in the first place. Sure, applying sizeof or alignof to a bit-field makes no sense. But typeof? X::n has a perfectly good type, as the C++ compiler understands.

I was tempted to just file a bug report, on the grounds that this is a regression (an undocumented change in the behavior of a language feature that causes some code that used that feature to break), but perhaps there's some rationale for the change that I'm just not seeing.

--Matt