Re: Serious performance regression -- some tree optimizer questions

Daniel Berlin <dberlin@dberlin.org> wrote on 12/20/2004 01:25:49 AM:

> If you find it helps other testcases, or whatever, i'm happy to try to
> explore making that patch usable.

OK, the current situation w.r.t. mgrid is as follows:

With unmodified GCC, mgrid on 31-bit generates bad code due to a
combination of the problem fixed by your patch and IV selection
issues.  On 64-bit, the problem addressed by your patch doesn't
occur, but we have problems due to IV sign-extension (and also
IV selection issues).

Now, with a combination of various ivopts patches by Zdenek
I'm able to get absolutely perfect code generated for mgrid
on 64-bit.  However, on 31-bit we still run into the value
backsubstitution problem.  If I now apply your patch in addition
to the ivopts patches used on 64-bit, I *also* get perfect code!

So, if we assume we can get the ivopts situation fixed in time,
your backsubstitution patch would definitely be helpful!

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  Linux for S/390 Design & Development