Re: ChangeLog rotated

Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> writes:

> > Why would it cause further confusion?  The only possible confusion I
> > could see would be if people have memorized the relationship between
> > year and ChangeLog file, and that seems easy to handle.  What type of
> > confusion are you thinking of?
>
> Simply that moving the ChangeLog around multiple times makes it
> harder to locate the time and extent of a particular change.
> The confusion/goodness ratio is just too high; the change is
> cosmetic and likely to cause real problems.

I'm still having trouble understanding what you mean.  The ChangeLog
entries won't change, of course.  I can't imagine that anybody looks
at the cvs log of a ChangeLog file, since it would be rather boring.
CVS doesn't support changesets in any meaningful way, so moving the
information won't make it any harder to identify a patch which crosses
multiple files.

Can you give a specific example of what you mean?

Ian