This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: suggestion for projects page: sort frame vars
- From: James E Wilson <wilson at specifixinc dot com>
- To: DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:51:53 -0800
- Subject: Re: suggestion for projects page: sort frame vars
- References: <200501102030.j0AKUdaQ010239@greed.delorie.com>
DJ Delorie wrote:
The theory behind this change is that some ports either have limited
frame pointer or stack pointer displacements, or can optimize smaller
displacements. By sorting frame variables by size, gcc can cause more
of them to be within this limited displacement.
See the paper "Optimal Stack Slot Assignment in GCC" in the 2003 GCC
Summit proceedings. And also the associated patches that they wrote. A
copy of the summit proceedings in on the gcc.gnu.org ftp site. There
may have also been some other papers on related topics; I don't recall
if there was more than one paper on this topic.
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com