This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: suggestion for projects page: sort frame vars
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at redhat dot com>
- To: DJ Delorie <dj at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:08:37 -0800
- Subject: Re: suggestion for projects page: sort frame vars
- References: <200501102030.j0AKUdaQ010239@greed.delorie.com>
On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:30:39PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> The theory behind this change is that some ports either have limited
> frame pointer or stack pointer displacements, or can optimize smaller
> displacements. By sorting frame variables by size, gcc can cause more
> of them to be within this limited displacement.
The problem is much more complicated than you're giving it credit.
There was a patch for this a few years ago, but it never got reviewed.