Re: ACATS c380004

Hi Richard,

> Right.  It's trying to allocate an amount of memory that overflows because
> it thinks it needs to allocate an array of 2**32 entries.  This can either
> end up allocating zero bytes, a negative number, or a large positive
> number depending on lot of random things.

what I don't understand is: why does it need to allocate so much memory?
I've looked through the test and at first glance it looks perfectly harmless.
What is more, gcc at the pre-ssa tag allocates only mild amounts of memory,
does not try to access unallocated memory (according to valgrind), and passes
the test.  This seems to indicate that vast quantities of memory are not needed.
Is it really succeeding by accident as you seem to suggest?

All the best,

Duncan.