This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: is this GNAT error message confusing or am I confused or both?
- From: Robert Dewar <dewar at adacore dot com>
- To: Richard Kenner <kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:59:33 -0500
- Subject: Re: is this GNAT error message confusing or am I confused or both?
- References: <10501070256.AA12703@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu>
Richard Kenner wrote:
> This is an example message printed by GNAT:
> zx.adb:10:07: invalid prefix in selected component "X"
I know what the terms mean, but my problem with this wording is that
it makes it sound like "X" is the selected component and it somehow
has an invalid prefix.
I'd reword it as
selected component has invalid prefix "X"
"X" is an invalid prefix of a selected component
that sounds like a reasonable suggestion. It's not a trivial
change (because of ACATS base line changes, and changes to
reference outputs in our test suite), but it indeed may
make things clearer