Re: Question about instruction packing

_On 03-Jan-2005 13:24, Steven Bosscher san wrote_:
On Monday 03 January 2005 07:47, Balaji S wrote:

Hi all,

I am working on a DSP processor which can issue two instructions, each one
word, in one cycle.

The following is the DFA description for the above behavior.

(define_automaton "ic3")
(define_cpu_unit "ic3_slot0, ic3_slot1" "ic3")

(define_insn_reservation "ic3_any" 1
 (eq_attr "length" "1")
 "ic3_slot0|ic3_slot1")

(define_insn_reservation "ic3_all" 1
 (eq_attr "length" "2")
 "ic3_slot0+ic3_slot1")

With the above descriptions the instructions are getting rearranged but the
packing info, *TImode for insn*, is not available. Please correct me if any
mistakes in descriptions and guide me to get the packing info in insns.

Looks very similar to m32r.  Look at the DFA description for
that target, maybe there's something useful to learn for you
there.

Thanks for your pointer.

Had a look in to your patch.

2004-06-28 Steven Bosscher <stevenb@suse.de>

* config/m32r/m32r.c (m32r_sched_odd_word_p, m32r_adjust_cost,
m32r_sched_init, m32r_sched_reorder, m32r_variable_issue): Remove.
(TARGET_SCHED_ADJUST_COST, TARGET_SCHED_VARIABLE_ISSUE,
TARGET_SCHED_INIT, TARGET_SCHED_REORDER): Don't define.
* config/m32r/m32r.md: Rewrite the pipeline description as a DFA.

Found that, missing scheduling related target definition (TARGET_SCHED_ISSUE_RATE) created that problem.

After solving that, now i have a different problem with packing that two insns of two word each are getting packed together. Do i need to control this using TARGET_SCHED_VARIABLE_ISSUE?. If not, please guide me to specify this in DFA description itself.