Re: regmove and regclasses

Steven Bosscher wrote:
I'm probably overlooking something trivial, but...  where does
regmove get its regclasses from?

The register class support was added here:

Sat Jan 10 21:50:16 1998  J"orn Rennecke  <amylaar@cygnus.co.uk>
                          Jeffrey A Law  (law@cygnus.com)

* regmove.c: New implementation of regmove pass. ...

and it looks like it has never done anything useful in the FSF tree. There was perhaps an extra regclass call before the regmove call somewhere that got lost when the code was moved from the Cygnus tree to the FSF tree. Or maybe regmove used to be called after regclass, and got moved before the scheduler so that we could schedule the extra moves it emitted, and no one noticed that this broke the code using register classes. It is hard to say at this point, without access to the Cygnus internal tree.