Re: ia64 vector mode support

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:52:39PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Now, the first and obvious question is: Are you intending to continue
> your work into that direction? If so, I would probably want to stay away
> from doing the same thing a second time.

I dunno.  Point me at the spec and I might.

> - Comparing with 3.4.3, the way they get passed as arguments or
> returned has changed, mainly (as far as I can tell) because of changes
> in common code. Is this intentional? If not, did anyone even notice?

No, no one noticed.  Unfortunately, the ABI really isn't clear on
how they ought to be passed either.  Curious how inconsistent 3.4
is at treating them as fp entities...

> Matching the ABI (according to which, as I'm reading it, these should
> be treated as HFAs),

Agreed... except that there's no "funpack" instruction, so passing
a parameter would be, at minimum,

	getf.sig r2 = foo
	;;
	setf.s f8 = r2
	shr r3 = r2, 32
	;;
	setf.s f9 = r3

and I don't think anyone wants that.

> ... matching the Intel compiler (which I can compare with) ...

That would probably be best.

r~