Re: What to do with new-ra for GCC 4.0

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Paul Brook wrote:

On Sunday 02 January 2005 13:57, Björn Haase wrote:
concerning 'it's not like anyone will miss it' :

For the avr target, new-ra used to be *extremely* useful. There have been
discussions about the -fnew-ra issue. Unfortunately not on this list but on
some of the specialized lists for the avr targets, iirc. Maybe we should
cross post summaries of our discussions also at this list.?

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that gcc needs a new register allocator The suggestion is that the "new-ra" on mainline is sufficiently broken that it's better to rip it out and either start again or fix it on a branch than leave it to bitrot and get in the way on mainline.

Bingo. Heck, i helped write it and i agree. new-ra has failed, long live a new new-ra