Re: -funsafe-loop-optimizations

rakdver@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz (Zdenek Dvorak)  wrote on 01.01.05 in <20050101002906.GA6108@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>:

> In particular programs that might get misscompiled with
> -funsafe-loop-optimizations are usually not portable,
> since they depend on exact sizes of types.

Well, not portable everywhere, but often portable to a large number of
architectures - such as most 32 bit architectures, for example - as those
typically share those exact sizes.

Which might easily be enough for a given project. That's a *large* part of
the market.

(For example, how many programmers outside the small end of the embedded
market still care that int might be 16 bit? Assuming at-least-32 is "not
portable" - but very, very common; in fact, I believe it's been in the GNU
coding guidelines since long before this was confined to the embedded
market.)

MfG Kai