Re: Suggestion for improving C++ parser memory usage

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 07:33 -0500, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Mike Hearn wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:47:44 -0500, Robert Dewar wrote:
> >
> >>Possibly so, but what is the gain, a little bit of memory saved at
> >>compile time? Seems dubious ..
>
> > Not when you have "only" 256mb of RAM and compiling a large C++ file can
> > flush half your desktop out to swap. I'd love to see reductions in g++
> > memory usage :)
>
> I just don't think the optimization you suggest will have any significant
> effect in reducing memory used. Do you have data that says otherwise?

Nope, I'm just an observer. But I don't think memory usage reductions
should be discarded on the grounds that you need at least half a gig of
RAM to compile C++, that sounds crazy to my ears.

If the complexity/memory-savings tradeoff doesn't make sense then by all
means ignore me :)

thanks -mike