Re: [gpc] Re: GCC integration?

On Dec 17, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

I would like the following:
* a branch off of mainline for "Pascal integration". This would start off
containing the current GPC sources attached to GCC 4.0. Presumably there
are various problems with that, so I'd like to see
* a TODO list of the integration requirements to port GPC to the GCC 4.0
architecture, starting with those which make it build, and continuing with
those which fix testsuite problems.
* Commit and approval permission to the branch for GPC maintainers and
GCC global maintainers, to allow as many people as possible to work on fixing
such problems.
* GPC maintainers merging any changes made in the current development
versions of GPC onto the branch
* Pascal integration as a release goal for GCC 4.1

Frankly, if there were such a branch in GCC CVS, it would be easier to poke
around and see what needs to be done for integration. It's probably not
that bad, but it's just not really convenient to work outside a version
control system for most of us who are used to them.

I suppose it's time to ask: *should* Pascal integration be a goal for 4.1?

Adding a new front end is not free. It constrains the middle end data structures, it may result in more fields or tests (thus hurting compile time for other languages), it certainly increases testing work and bootstrap time, and it certainly increases the overall complexity of the system. GCC was a much simpler compiler when it was just a C compiler.

Adding support for a new language has costs and benefits. I certainly supported gfortran and ObjC++, but I'll need to know more about the costs and benefits of Pascal integration before I decide whether I support it for 4.x.

--Matt