Re: Revised release criteria for GCC 4.0

"E. Weddington" <ericw@evcohs.com> writes:

> 1. Under simtest-howto.html, it mentions that newlib is required for
> testing, and you mention a newlib port. Why is newlib required? The
> avr port is a slightly different beast in that, for the vast majority
> of users (see more below), it does not use newlib as its C library, it
> uses avr-libc: <http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc/>, and
> has done so for a few years. The only recent exception to this is the
> RTEMS folks who are more interested in a newlib port. I don't know
> offhand how mature the newlib avr port is.

The goal is to make it easy for gcc developers to run the testsuite.
Many gcc developers already know how to work with newlib.  In
particular, it is already in the uberbaum repository on
sourceware.org, along with gcc and the binutils.  So somebody can
simply check out the uberbaum repository and build and test
everything.  Requiring gcc developers to obtain yet another tool in
order to do testing makes it that much less likely that anybody will
actually test.

> 2. You speak of an "AVR simulator". I've seen various scattered
> information about generating a simulator (for embedded targets) and
> usage. Is there some doc that explains what the entire process is on
> putting together a simulator? and where to put it? Pointers welcome. I
> understand that DejaGnu is used to perform the actual testing.

The best type of simulator lives in the sim directory in the src
repository on sourceware.org.  This is part of the gdb distribution.
This type of simulator can be run standalone or as part of gdb.  I
don't know what documentation there is on these types of simulators.

Ian