Re: New target for Coldfire v4e?

C Jaiprakash, Noida wrote:
Hi,
  I want to submit the changes for ColdFire v4e.

That's very good news indeed!

GCC's main development branch is currently in stage 3; that
means only regression fixes are being accepted at the moment.

To save time, you may start submitting patches now, but
we'll have to wait until the development of GCC 4.1 resumes
in order to commit them.

Are you already familiar with rules for contributing to GCC?
If not, read  http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html and make
sure your patches conform to these rules.

To help reviewers, please break your changes in small pieces,
motivating each patch.  To get some early feedback, feel free
to post your patches even before they're completely polished,
but say so in the description.

After the first round of reviews, some of your work may need
fixes, improvements or documentation changes.  This process
may require a few weeks of calendar time (and a few hours of
your time).

Be sure to go through the legal papers, otherwise we won't
be able to accept your changes in our codebase.

But to get m68k-linux
target working for ColdFire v4e i had to make some changes in
the m68k-linux target configuration.

Do you also support the m68k-uclinux target? That would be highly desiderable, since many ColdFire platform use the uClinux kernel and distribution.

Also, the m68k-elf (for bare-metal embedded systems) and
m68k-rtems targets may want to use the new processor.

If you didn't update these targets, that can also be taken
care of later with followup patches from you or other
contributors.

I had to modify t-linux for multi-lib part. Will these
changes be acceptable or do i have to create a new target for ex.
coldfire-linux?

That depends on how your changes affect other m68k-linux users. If you removed 680x0 processors, you certaily need to create a different target triplet.

I'm sure we *can* keep v4e along with other m68k targets.
Most of your changes are probably processor-specific (new
instructions, etc.).  These can easily be shared.

The other changes to the m68k-linux target are probably
meant to generate multilibbed libraries for the new m68k
variant, these can be shared too.

Does m68k-linux have some special requirements such
as tweaks to the ELF format for shared-library support?

The uClinux target has *many* such tricks and thus it's
been made a separate target.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/