Re: SSA annotations memory use.

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 09:14, Jan Hubicka wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking into memory usage of tree-profiling branch and after
> parsing combine.c roughly 25% is consumed by CFG related datastructurs.
> 3% are adges, 2.7% tsi linked lists, 6.6% blocks, 7% labels, 13%
> statement annotations.

> I think I can get the CFG usage down by splitting up the info used by
> RTL only to be allocated on local basis and prune out some unneded stuff
> from edges and blocks, but the major part are the labels and
> annotations.  Are there any current plans on getting these smaller?
> (one obvious idea is to kill the annotations once function is analyzed
> and recompute them when it is being compiled, but this is side step from
> plan to build and preserve SSA), but perhaps we can think of breaking it
> up to part that survive from analysis to compilatio and part that will
> get recomputed cheaply?

you could try getting rid of all the stmt operand caches until you need
them again. They could be a good percentage chunk of the annotation, and
they are just going to get larger in 4.1 when the immediate use info is
integrated.

when you analyze the function, how far into the compilation process do
you go?

Andrew