Re: Size of basic types

Paul Schlie wrote:

Thanks, I didn't appreciate that there was a dependency between the size of
a pointer and the size of a long; I had mistakenly presumed that as long as
there was a supported int datatype which was at least as large as a pointer
(as in the above example long long == pointer size) GCC's infrastructure
would support it.

Zack did not say that GCC could not support it, just that it would be essentially a new port and a huge amount of work, and that it *might* be the case that breaking the pointer/long assumption would cause further difficulties.

That seems a fair analysis to me ...